Thessaloniki and how to get there
Thessaloniki, the second largest city in Greece has a rich history which dates back to almost 3000 years. The city has the preserved remains of the Roman, Byzantine, Ottoman culture.
Thessaloniki is close to the Macedonia Airport which is very well connected to major domestic and international destinations. One can avail of daily flights with economic flight prices for Thessaloniki by Olympic Air and Aegean Airlines. A lot of buses ply from the airport to the city centre and the buses are very regular. The other options which can be exercised are taxis, buses and even train services are frequent.
Places to visit
- The magnificent white tower, which is a fortified tower of the 16th Century, offers a beautiful view of the picturesque city. A stroll along the 12 km long Promenade offers sight to the Roman Forum excavations.
- The upper town is famous for the traditional old houses, pebbled streets, the Byzantine citadel and the Eptapyrgion fort
- The Church of Agios Demetrios built somewhere between the 5th and 14th Century and the Agia Sophia are a must visit for their splendid beauty and the history that they are associated with.
- The Turkish public baths Bey Hamam and Bezesteni are beautiful places to soak in the history of Greece
- Archaeological Museum of Thessaloniki and the Museum of Byzantine Culture are a collection of the rich culture and history of the land over the years
Thessaloniki is home to lovely beaches like the – Asprovalta beach, Agia Triada beach and the Epanomi beach. These beaches are pristine and have many big tourist resorts. The beautiful coast line is a perfect place for camping or unwinding on the sun beds under the umbrella. Nature can be found at its best amidst the lush green forests.
The city of Thessaloniki is the hub of art and culture. A lot of cultural and social events are being organised in this city round the year. Of which the noted ones are the Thessaloniki International Fair which is held in the month of September each year. The fair attracts a lot of attendees across the world. The fair is a platform of networking for various businesses and promotes a lot of industries.
Another famous event is the Thessaloniki International Film Festival which is held each year in the month of November. It encourages the debut film makers and showcases talents of the upcoming film makers. A lot of participants from the entire world flock the event to make it a sought after film festival.
Held every year in the month of May, the international Book Fair is also a great event which features authors and publishers across the globe and is a great way of encouraging art and culture.
- There are multiple options of accommodation in this city. Cheap hotel reservation in Thessaloniki can be done at Little big house hostel, Studios Arabas, Backpackers refuge are mostly youth hostels and are very well connected.
- Mid range hotel bookings in Thessaloniki include options like El Greco hotel, Heaven hotel, Zaliki Boutique hotel; these hotels are a convenient stay option with good standard of the rooms and services.
- Luxury hotels like Electra Palace Hotel, Hyatt Regency, and Porto Palace are the beautiful properties which redefine the experience of splurging. You can get hot deals in Thessaloniki
Drink and Dine
- Thessaloniki is famous for the sweets and pastries. Tsoureki, a sweetened bread is the most famous sweet that one must savour while touring this city. The other desserts include Baklava and Galaktoboureko and Bougasta. Nikiforou and Terkelnis are famous shops for the sweets.
- There are a lot of Taverns round the city which some mouth watering delicacies. Pentaraki is one of the most famous taverns.
- Thessalniki is famous for its active night life and has been listed as the world’s fifth best party destination. Nikis avenue, Proxenou Koromila St,Iktinou pedestrian, Aretsou are all famous night clubs which serve good liquor along with a pulsating ambience which makes the ultimate party moments.